Shout OUT - It's Celiac Awareness Month
May is here and it's time to SHOUT OUT for Celiac Awareness.
Happy Celiac Disease Awareness Month everyone!
May has "unofficially" been the month to bring awareness to celiac disease.
- The American Celiac Disease Alliance is campaigning everyone to make sure all State Representatives know about celiac disease during the month of May.
- Check out this link for a fast and easy way to "shout out" to your state representative.
A few facts
- Celiac disease is associated with or can lead to a number of other disorders including infertility, premature births, reduced bone density (both osteopenia and osteoporosis), neurological disorders, malignancies such as adenocarcinoma, non-Hodgkins lymphoma, and others, and a host of autoimmune disorders such as insulin dependent diabetes, thyroid disease, Sjogren's syndrome, Addison's disease, Psoriasis, autoimmune liver disease, and cardiomyopathy.
- Celiac disease is twice as common as Crohn's, ulcerative colitis and cystic fibrosis combined.
- Celiac disease meets the criteria for the World Health Organization for justifying general screening.
- Celiac disease runs in the family.
Please take a minute to shout out to your state representative